Pork Banh Mi
Posted on May 31, 2021
Nothing beats the freshness and flavour of a Banh Mi - and this vegan Banh Mi is sure to tantalise your taste buds! With spiced plant-based pork pieces, rich sauces and the freshness of Vietnamese herbs, biting into this sandwich will be anything but ordinary!
Prep time: 25 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Makes: 6 sandwiches
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp white vinegar
- ½ cup water
- 1 carrot, peeled into strips
- 1 cucumber, seeds discarded, flesh peeled into strips
- 1 box Deliciou Plant-Based Pork
- 1 tsp Chinese five spice
- 1 tsp smoked paprika (optional)
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp worcestershire sauce (vegan)
- 3 long french baguettes, cut in half (or 6 vietnamese baguettes)
- Vegan mayonnaise
- Hoisin sauce
- Coriander and mint leaves
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F.
- To pickle the vegetables, mix the sugar, water and vinegar in a bowl, then add carrot and cucumber strips. Make sure the strips have been fully coated in the vinegar mix and set aside to allow the pickling process.
- Prepare pork according to package directions, then mix in the remaining pork ingredients above. Using clean wet hands, shape into thin, thumb sized strips. If time allows, cover and refrigerate for 10 minutes. Pan fry the pieces over medium heat in 3 Tbsp oil until golden brown all over.
- While the pork cooks, cut the baguettes open horizontally so you can open them like a clam shell. Toast in oven for 2-3 minutes or until slightly crunchy. Set a timer so you don’t forget!
- Spread the inside of the bread with a generous dollop of vegan mayo and hoisin sauce. Place a few pork pieces and pickled vegetables inside, as well as coriander and mint. Serve straight away before anyone else gets word you have fresh banh mi!
Grab your Deliciou Plant-Based Pork online and get shipping for all orders over $40.